Moved to a new house and got a fitbit for Christmas. Not an insult from the husband, just a great gift to get me up and moving and walking my property more to get OUT of my office and to do some family walking.
Live near a ton of awesome bike and walking trails, so great family times abound and we have already pulled out that double stroller.
Also inspired by my mom, who is working hard to exercise and eat right!
She found me a recipe that was a healthier version of a standard pot pie so I tweaked it a bit and made them tonight.
You will need:
- 2 cups skim or 1% milk
- 1 chopped onion
- Pinch or 3 of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup flour (I used all purpose, almond would make it sweeter and whole wheat would add flavor)
- Avocado or coconut oil (FYI- recipe called for about 6 strips bacon for the oil, but I omitted that)
- Frozen veggies (I used what was left in freezer. Half bags of okra, corn, and green beans)
- Chicken breast, about 2, already cooked. I got a chicken from Costco and made chicken salad from the dark meat the other day and chopped the breast for this recipe.
- About 2 T white wine
- 3-4 minced garlic cloves
- Phyllo dough sheets, naturally thawed by sitting on the counter and then rolled out
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
Cook milk and half the onions on medium and let simmer for about 5 minutes, set aside for 15 minutes to cool.
If you want to use bacon, cook it, remove and use about 2 T of the oil to cook the rest of the onion and garlic for about 2-3 minutes and then add frozen veggies to cook for another 5-10 minutes, mixing well and then adding the cubed or shredded chicken (and then the crumbled bacon). Otherwise, start with oil of your choice and do the same.
Strain the milk mix and throw away the solids (in my case, onions and parsley) and then put the milk on low, add the flour and stir for 5-7 minutes, adding a little white wine and s&p while using with a whisk.
Mix that into the veggies/chicken.
Take sheets of phyllo and spray with cooking spray instead of butter and fold and lay in ramekin dishes OR a large pie pan.
Then place mixture in whatever you select and put phyllo on top, spray again, and then BAKE at 350 until brown…maybe 20 minutes or so